- Have you always wanted to use your geeky talents for a good cause but couldn't find a charity that 'fit' you?
- Have you ever thought, 'gosh why is there no one who is providing computer for the less fortunate in our community?'.
- Do you have an environmental conscience when it comes to all the electronics leeching toxins into our landfills?
- Have you ever wished you could play around with hardware and software and networks without fear of breaking the companies stuff?
- Have you ever wanted to hang with a group of like minded individuals and who actually know what terminal window is?
- Do you have a desire to learn something new about technology or do you have the desire to teach a willing audience about something you know?
- Do you have a ton of computer stuff you've held onto just in case someone may have some use for it some day?
We have a place for you! Every Tuesday from 4:00 to 8:00 PM (usually till 10 PM cause we just can't pull ourselves away from our computer stuff!), Computers for Charity meets in downtown Bowling Green, Ohio at Turning Point Church.
We take donations of computers from businesses and individuals and refurbish them, usually with Linux, sometimes we fix broken Windows and work with Macs too!
We have a dedicated core group of 8 techs of various backgrounds who lend their talents. We have about 20 volunteers total who help with various community projects we concoct. We are a young and vibrant charity who cherishes innovation and self determination. Speaking in Klingon is a bonus but is not required.
So how do you now if your geeky enough to join our L33T crew? Take a look at the 'You May Be A Geek If...' checklist and see if you have any or all of the following characteristics.
Feel free to respond with your own!
Hey even if your not a true geek and you care about helping people and the environment we have a place for you too. Come see us on Tuesday. We need your help!
At Computers for Charity we are part computer club, part charity, part education and training, and all about having a lot of fun.